Saturday, February 14, 2009

The importance of Pink Chaddis on Valentine's Day

On quite a few occasions I have smirked at burqa clad Muslim women in India and abroad.

I saw this marwari lady at Taj Mahal's entry gate. I was amazed the way she had hid her face in her 'pallu'(veil). Infact, this pic has been captured after she realised that I was clicking her pic and she desperately tried to see my face but was not keen to lift her pallu. If you look closely, you can observe that she is looking at me from the pallu.

Anyway, I am amazed by the fact that though Hindu traditions are equally regressive as the muslims, especially towards women, many hindus conveniently forget such aspects of our culture when there is a debate on hindu-muslim culture or traditions.

Pramod Muthalik and his goons are no less regressive than the Talibanese who throw acid on school going girls in Afghanistan.

While I am against the excesses done these days in the name of Valentine's Day, beating up women is against the culture of any religion.

The Pink Chaddi campaign - http://thepinkchaddicampaign.blogspot.com/ is a slap on the face of the Muthaliks of the world. Somewhere it makes us aware of the sense of despair, powerlessness and frustration that women (of India) have harboured against (the strong arm tactics of) men. The Internet and the Pink Chaddi campaign has provided that outlet.

Its a shame, that women who are actually at the receiving end (i.e. like the one pictured above) may have no access to internet and fail to participate in this national movement.

Personally, I would have loved to send and Pink Chaddi with a hole it its back side to the Ram Sene guys!

Let freedom be freedom of thought and not freedom from thoughts.

No comments: