Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My new hobby





I got interested in devnagri calligaphy in 1987-88 when I saw Achyut Palav (www.achyutpalav.com) at a workshop. I was awe-struck by his skill.

Soon I was immersed in learning the craft on my own. I bought calligrahpy pens and within a few months became expert at it.

All my college mates (especially girls) were impressed with my talent and in return I used to make greeting cards for them for every possible occasion!! However, post my graduation in 1990, I lost touch with this art.

When I shifted my residence, I saw an old paint brush and m sketch pad lying in the unpacked luggage. I sat there and painted a few drawings to frame them on my new walls. That was in 2003.

Now a few months back, I was re-connected to this art by some strange coincidence.

However, this time I decided to use new tools for creating a different form of calligraphic art. So I started with an ink dropper and made a few drawings - like the first one.

Later I experimented with cotton dipped in poster color and used to paint letters as can be seen above.

When I do calligraphy or figure drawing, I get into a 'zone' - its magical....the hands, the fingers, the colors...everything works in perfect balance and coordination.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:)
deep

Anonymous said...

I am happy you started it again. its so professional. One may not be able to differentiate your work with the big names in the industry. Use of Ink dropper & cotton is good improvisation. I hope to see more of these and other art, on these pages soon. soni.