Friday, October 23, 2009

Kandeel


We met him near Citylight market at Mahim. Everytime we enquired about the "Kandeel" prices in marathi, he shot back in English.

Me: Arre Kiti la ha kandeel? (How much for this "Kandeel"?)
He: Sir, this is 275 rupees
Me: Ani ha? (What about this one?)
He: Sir this is 325 rupees only, which one you want?
Me: Mala neet bhav sang? (Give me the best rate?)
He: Sir, here it is fixed rate.
Me: Kuthchya Shalet Jatos? Kitvit aahes? (What school do you go to? What class?)
He: I go to SIES school and I study in 8th standard. Sir, which one you want?
Me: Tujha photo kadto (I will click you photo)
He: Ok sir...

He reminded me of my own childhood. One of my friend's father used to make Kandeels during diwali and sell them on roadside near Dombivali station. I used to accompany them and stand at the stall every evening. Most buyers felt odd negotiating because of my middle class looks and appearance. I used to end up selling many kandeels everyday.

And all this was done for one Thumps Up or a glass of Lassi that was offered to us by my friend's dad for all the hard work put in!!

No comments: