Friday, September 5, 2008

UP is Down and Out!!






I was called for a conference in Amethi, UP. I travelled 4 hours through the Rae Bareli road to UP. The plight of the villages in UP is seen to be believed.

On my way back to Lucknow, throughout the 4 hours, I hardly saw a village with electricity!!

Guns are a norm and you see them everywhere. I buses, jeeps, cycles and mobikes. You see them hung outside huts, at cycle stores, in chai ka dhabas...you watch all this in disbelief.

And back in Lucknow, you see so much of Mayawati - posters, banners, wall paintings, statues - all over the place. So much so that, Mayawati has put up an Ambedkar statue bang in midst of the village market in Amethi!!!

My driver, a staunch congressman, grudgingly admitted that the real development happened when 'Bha Ja Pa' (BJP) was in power!!!

No comments: