Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Osho


I never tried to encounter his philosophy. To me, he was the one who took Vinod Khanna away from Bollywood - at a time when I used to like watching him paired with Bachchan. Nothing more than that.

A few of my friends had read about him and used to tell me that his philosophy was about overdoing ones desires and make them stale. As you keep doing this with each one of your desires, one day you would achieve tranquility.

The other day, I casually picked up his autobiography at Danai's titled - Autobiography of a Spiritually Incorrect Mystic.

The book is unputdownable. A must read. No pretense of being a spiritual master's autobiography. I have read about 81 pages of the 300 page book. I realize that Osho is much more than what my friends told me about.

Osho was a destiny's child. Hence he could do what he did with so much of nonchalance and confidence and fearlessness.

His fearlessness is infectious, amusing, unbelievable, and somewhat scary to emulate. His childhood memoirs are humorous, his ability to question everything from religion, god, rituals, gurus, etc. are a pure joy to read. Though controversial, they are nonetheless extremely incisive and makes you think in a completely unexplored dimension of religion and spirituality.

Here's one that I liked:

"Religion needs a religious quality. A few qualities are missing. One of the most important is a sense of humor"

The book is all about such irreverence and more...

No comments: