Sunday, June 10, 2007

My visit to Gandhi Ashram at Sabarmati, Ahmedabad










I went to Ahmedabad for a day trip and was free by 5 pm. My return flight to Mumbai was at 9 pm and hence I decided to go to my favourite location in Ahmedabad, The Gandhi Ashram. Its amazing how humbling the experience is, just being there and experiencing the place where Gandhi actually lived.

The design of the Ashram, the houses, the verandahs, the doors, the windows, etc. is simple and non-obtrusive, very close to Gandhi's way of life. A revelation I had this time was the house where Vinoba lived. Its very close to Gandhi's abode. I have captured it in pics. Vinoba was a true disciple of Gandhi, who actually surpassed Gandhi in implementing what he preached.

I have also attached a few surreal pics of white busts of Gandhi and Vinoba in a dark corners of the Ashram. See if you like them.

At the ashram, I saw a few NRI kids trying to imbibe the teachings of Gandhi through a tour. It was cute. The great thing was that they were there for more than 3-4 hours trying to understand why Gandhi did what he did. Gandhi must have felt happy seeing them in his abode. A pic of the youngsters has also been attached.

Gandhi once said: My life is my message. Gandhi Ashram is a silent reminder of that message.

No comments: